Sunday, May 18, 2008

Robert Tonner Answers YOUR Questions


Is there a possibility to get swivel feet for the DC Stars line up, to include the male figures for a more realistic stand for posturing?
We're still exporing alot of that world...with different characters, there are differing needs in the hands, feet, etc. We are looking into these features.


Any chance that you might create a Wonder Woman line, with characters like the Cheetah and Donna Troy/Wonder Girl?
Wonder Woman is a favorite of mine...these are characters I'd love to work on.


How are some attendees getting access to the Ellowyne doll that will be given at tonights dinner so they can post them for sale on e-bay?
Not sure exactly what you mean here...but we do sell the extras at the end of the event. It always surprises me how quickly things go up on eBay!


So many of us really want some truly GOOD stands for our dolls. Is there any chance of this happening?
I think our newest stand is pretty good...and there are always areas for improvement. As said before, differing characters/dolls have different display needs. It's difficult deciding which ones are best in a universal stand. We will continue to explore this, though.


How soon AFTER the convention can we expect to be able to order some of the wonderful new collection?
Not sure what you mean here...but the convention items are all exclusives for the convention except Superman. If any extras remain from the convention, they will be sold via the Tonner Company Store (we don't yet know if Wilde Imagination products will be sold by Tonner...or by Wilde). Our Fall/Holiday collection won't be available until later this summer. Superman will be available later this year.


Can we expect to see more Stellas in the regular line?
Sure.


Also, is there a possibilty of you doing Tony Stark @ Iron Man?
I loved the movie...but we have no plans to do this. Besides, that iron suit would be really heavy to ship.


Could you please make a STARFIRE TCF for the DC Stars line? With her orange/golden skin, her bright green eyes, her curvy full figure and long, golden curly hair, she'd make a striking figure! Any of the George Perez Titans would be great...Raven would be cool too!
All of these sound great...but our plate's kinda full with DC right now.
NEW: I’m getting a better understanding about the different artists and writers, including such iconic creators as Perez; all who have drawn the DC characters…I love the interpretations…it’s kind of inspirational. I’ll be studying these in the future…and who knows? I’d love to make them all in doll form :)

This is a question from my husband who is a big action figure/comic collector. Is there any possibility of expanding the DC Stars line by creating costumes for some of the minor characters to be used with the existing DC dolls, or maybe creating some basic/generic superhero dolls that can be used with the costumes?
Hard to say based on what our contract with DC outlines. We'd have to explore this with them. Thanks for the suggestion!


Robert, I read your interview with Figures.com News and was very interested in your wanting to gain the licenses for several other lines. Do you think you will be actively working to get the Lord Of The Rings? I would be the first one in line to order the ENTIRE LINE OF DOLLS AND OUTFITS!
We expressed an interest in this, but it's not on our immediate horizon right now...but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.


With the DC Stars line up, will we be seeing Superman and the Flash coming out this year? And is there any possibility of a Robin for our Batman.
Superman, yes...we introduced him this weekend (see blog pics) - the other two are planned in our upcoming line-up for the next year or so.


Would love to see some "street clothes" that fit male superheros.
We've been working on this...there are some logistics that come into play...but it's been fun exploring the possibilities!


Love the fact that you have more male sculpts using matt body type. any chance for an asian male? perhaps some older women?
Sure, and thank you! Nothing specific right now...but we've been considering both for some time.


With your introduction of the Ultra Basic Ava this weekend and your Ultra Basic Tyler earlier this year and on your website, are you planning to introduce other "Ultra Basic" dolls this year such as Sydney or Jac?
Yes.


More Ultra Basic dolls please? And I would like to see a new ankle joint and/or a swivel knee joint on the 16" dolls.Oh and one last thing...Could you make it easier for international collectors (like myself) to order online at the Tonner Company Store please?
Yes...we're working on it...and we'll see about the international ordering. Our licenses are not all available outside North America...and it's been difficult to set this up in the online shopping cart. Thanks for your patience while we work it all out!


Would it be possible for Ellowyne, to get a twisted Waist? It is so nice in the Tonner Dolls the way the waist has movement.
It's possible...however, with every joint you add, you give up something...and I didn't want to alter her unique body shape.


It would be really great to see some "SPECIAL" Halloween Convention Ellowyne dolls with Jim Ash's great GLASS EYES!!!! Do you think this might be possible??? :)
I'm a big fan of his work...it's complicated for production...so, no plans right now.


Will there be an ultra-basic Euphie, especially with a different hair style?
What most people don't understand about the Ultra Basics is they are to have minimal hair styles...that limits what we can do in an Ultra Basics. This does not count in retailer exclusive dolls...they ask for something specific. That being said, anything is ultimately possible.


Hi Robert! Love EVERYTHING you are doing! I do think Ms. Ellowyne NEEDS more friends though... I'm almost POSITIVE that's a huge part of her chronic ennui. I LOVE the Ellowyne line... the dolls, clothes, EVERYTHING! Will she have more friends in the future?
Thanks! We do have Prudence and Rufus...but that's about it in Ellowyne's life at the moment. There may be more on the horizon, though.


Love the Tonner e-mail updates, the Tonner Store and now the virtual convention! Great to know what's new and see what other collectors are interested in. Any chance there will be more Brenda Starr in the future?
Thank you! Our contract with Brenda Starr is finished...so we don't have any plans to return to that collection at the moment.


Hello Mr. Tonner!! Congratulations on what looks to be an amazing collection and a wonderful convention!! Hope to get to one someday!
Thanks...we hope to see you at one some day!


About a year back, I heard that you intended on creating a line of dolls based on the Lord of the Rings. I would be absolutely delighted if you did so! There are so many possibilites costume-wise! If you are able to do so, PLEASE PLEASE could they be ALL NEW sculpts!????
See answer above.


I would also be interested in seeing a Bollywood line!! ~ dolls with a darker vinyl and fabulous costumes!!!
This would be very fun...we'll have to think about that.


And one last thing~ a male Asian sculpt!!!
Abolutely! I just don't know when...


I am curious about the obvious larger heads of the newer dolls.... both male and female. Is this a trend that will continue? Is this a "larger" mold issue? How did this happen? Was it thought that the older heads were not in proportion to the body? I, for one, think the newer heads look very out of proportion to the body and have stopped collecting any of the newer head sculpts. I know I'm not the only one with these concerns.... Any light you could shed would be most appreciated.
When we shoot many dolls for the catalog and website, we use Master Mold heads, which are larger than that used in production. Other than that, I think that all people have different head sizes, and I'm pleased with the proportions in our sculpts. That being said, I'd love to hear about specific sculpts you feel are not in correct proportion.
NEW: For Wilde Imagination, I can say that Ellowyne was designed with a larger head. It gives a smaller ‘look’ to the body. As far as the Tyler line goes, it's certainly not an exact science; there is no intention to make head unnaturally large.

My favorite dolls in the Tonner line are the Oz witches (Gulch sculpt) and the Prince from Cinderella. Any chance we'll be seeing more of those? Can't get enough of either and while I think the WWE is gorgeous I wanna see more of the Greenies and His Handsomeness! He makes a great male doll in general and I'd love to see this one done kept in the line and done with more modern hair, for instance, and Gulch, well, she's a just a knockout sculpt. MORE please!
Thanks...there's always a chance.


One more. I mentioned this briefly to Dr Noreen but any hope of a normal hand for the Potter dolls so we can swap out for more versatility? I'd LOVE to see that!
We use these hands in the Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew...but Warner Bros. wishes us to use a wand-holding hand for the Harry Potter kids.


The new BJD's are really lovely. I'll probably make the leap, but am concerned about at least one thing. Will the non -BJD- body still be available? It almost seems like another universe/ storyline in the making. May be my lack of vision, but I can't see the two types working together.
The resin BJD is just another option...it will not replace the vinyl bodies...I actually prefer those to resin for both play-ability and price.


Love the new Betsy dolls---Posey and Daffie---but would love to see better (full-length)pictures of them. This blog/video is absolutely amazing---thanks so much---am loving it all!!
I'm sure images will surface in the TONNERSpace e-newsletter (or above!)...


I'm thrilled w/your efforts to go green(and I LOVE the Go Green outfit!). My partner and I are doing everything we can, as well. Also, I would be committed to purchasing any TDC product with profit designated to a carbon offset program.
We're working on it...tough in all the materials we use. But we are tyring to find new ways to be environmentially friendly.


1. Will you be selling the new 2008 catalogs?
Yes...but only a limited number will be available at events or via retailers.


2. Would you please publish the TonnerSpace on-line newsletter in a printable pdf. format?
It can actually be printed from the HTML...but we are working on a new website that will present news in a new format with printable PDFs. What you see now is our interim solution for the e-newsletter.


I'm asking because, as a collector, I dearly love the TDC catalogs and the current version of your newsletter does not fit my PC screen properly.
I understand there are ways to adjust your settings...but it's tough to include code that works for all machines. That's why we are working on new website.


I also think a male Asian sculpt is needed, and maybe a harder edged, rock-and-roll, Annie Lennox type friend for Tyler would be great. Maybe these two could be paired together!
Sounds good...we'll see...


The Tonner Convention blog is a fantastic idea and it's so wonderful that you are making the convention available to all of us who couldn't attend. I love being able to see the convention dolls and the videos are a great idea too. Brilliant! Thank you!
You're welcome and thanks...we want to try new things!


Can you clarify what sculpt the "Nightmare" doll is? The site says Daphne, but she looks like Angelina. Thank you. :-)
You are correct...it was Angelina...sorry you got incorrect info! I'll remember to beat Tom.


This may have been asked, but when will Rufus from your Wilde Imagination line be debuting?That's up to Wilde Imagination...you can follow their news at www.ellowynewilde.com


Hi, Robert! I'm a BIG fan so have LOTS of questions...
1. When will we see more from the NYCB and Matt O'Neill collection? (Also regarding the NYCB collection--any plans to revamp the leg articulation or revert back to the original leg so that the doll can sit?)
Maybe...the leg is the way NYCB approved...so it's not likely we will change it.


2. Do you have plans for any more furniture for Tyler?
None right now.


3. Do you have any plans to add full, BW-type articulation to the plus-sized women (like Emme) and child dolls (like Agnes Dreary)? If so, when?
We are working on something new that you'll see soon...that's all I can say at this time.


4. Thank you for offering the BW body upgrades! Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but would it be possible to get the bodies with the interchangeable feet option to?
Good idea...we'll look into this.


One more thing--I applaud your efforts to go green with the decision not to print a catalog and the new minimalist packaging of the UB dolls. Please continue!
Well...we did print some after all...but thanks...we are trying!


Just one question; Could you please bring back Tiny Kitty? Her fans miss her terribly!
We haven't retired her...you'll see more of her later this year.


After the convention I'd love to see a write on how you all produce the videos for the blog!
We use Elfin magic...


Congrats to the whole Tonner team. Thanks for the blog. I'm having a virtual convention here at home. This is great!
Thanks...we're having a blast!


I was wondering if at any point you will consider using zippers more in gowns and dresses?
We have nothing against zippers...We'll try to see if some things, when appropriate, can use these.


My other question is, what is the status of the Matt O'Neil line? I love Matt! Bring Matt back from rehab, er, I mean "vacation"!
Matt is still around...he'll have some interesting news next year.


First, thanks again for letting us all participate via the virtual convention. It's almost as good as being there!Second, please, please, PLEASE tell me that Lois Lane and Lana Lang will be part of the regular line eventually. I'm blown away by the DC Stars line and want to see more! Like Superman's sweethearts and villains, Linda Lee and Clark Kent---and on the Batman side, ROBIN, Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson. Also, would love to see Wonder Woman and Catwoman through the ages.
This is really up to DC...we'll look into it.


And lastly, please bring back Matt---and Esme and Russell. I suspect they're off having a little "plastic surgery" of their own and I can't wait to see them again.
Not to worry!


Will there be more ethnic dolls? I'd specifically like to see Hispanic, Native American, East Indian (Bolly-bolly-doncha wanna..) and Asian. An Asian male would be especially lovely.
We're always adding new skin tones and diverse ethnicities, so stay on the lookout for new characters.


Also, what happened with Lord of the Rings? Will that still happen?
Please see above.


Will Tyler's cousin ever show up?
Parker? Perhaps.

Will you PLEASE get 17's sculpt back from AD and make some?
I don't own the heads for this line...they were retained by Seventeen...sorry!

8 comments:

Alyrenee said...

This is so fantastic! I really applaud you for answering questions like this..it really shows how much you care about your fans!

I just got back from the convention and I had a fabulous time. I loved the DC Stars event especially and I cannot wait to see what you will do next...I am dying for Black Canary, Green Arrow, Lex Luthor, Zatanna, Wonder Girl, Power Girl (though...you will have to make a special ahem...superbusty chest plate to the menu for her)...Flash etc.

Any chance we could get a fist hand on one of the girls in the future? I was so pleased to have superman with fists...

Anonymous said...

How about putting a cape and leotards on an 18" Kitty Collier, give her a fist hand and changeable feet, call her a super hero and bring her back?

Barby said...

Tonner,
Attending the covention was so much fun!It was a great experience.
My question concerns the Harry Potter line. Are you going to only do dolls and Charecters that are in the Movie Goblet of Fire? Is there any chance of you making a Luna Lovegood? Or a Sirius Black? The Weasley twins? A Ginny Weasley?

Bruna Guerreiro said...

Oh, god, this blog is soooo nice! Robert, it's wonderful of you to answer our questions! Well, I have lots of lots of suggestions, like everybody else. Is there any email where we should send this kind of suggestion? I live in Brazil, but I would love to attend one of your conventions! I know someday I will! Thank you for everything and congratualtions always for your superb talent!

adamjscott79 said...

Dear Mister Tonner,

Please stop creating beautiful dolls...so I can catch up. LOL jk, As a 28 yr old man, I find it hard meeting fellow collectors, especially my age. Is there a chatroom I dont know about, and if not, maybe a talented doll collector could create one? (hint hint ;) )

Adam

(p.s.) When is Sydney getting a boyfriend?)

Anonymous said...

tonner,
do you think you whould ever make a like a whatever happened to babyjane doll or the bad seed?
because if you did i would like buy theam all and my mother whould be so happy cuz she loves thos two movies!

i love all your dolls!

Anonymous said...

tonner,

do you think you will ever mak like a bad seed or what ever happened to baby jane doll?
if you did that whould be awesome!
my mother whould try to buy theam all !

im a big fan of yours!
and only 13.



by the way is the night mare halloween doll going to be joan crawford? lol

Crystal said...

Hi, I was wondering if Tonner plans to do another Lana face sculpt with red hair... she is so beautiful with red hair, and I can't find the "Lana Lang" doll anywhere! I so want to have one.